Thursday, January 3, 2013

los xochimilcas

songs: She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand, And I Love Her
language: Spanish
performer: Los Xochimilcas

I was surprised that there doesn't seem to be anything out there on Los Xochimilcas - not even a Spanish wikipedia page. From looking at the many YouTube videos of them, they seem to have been a popular - if not taken seriously - band that blended popular and Mexican musical styles with broad humor. A sort of Mexican Spike Jones or Mickey Katz. And like Katz, whose great talent for klezmer music was often overlooked due to his shtick, Los Xochimilcas were very talented musicians beneath the clowning. Their versions of these three Beatles songs reveal a sensitive ear for arranging and an expert incorporation of pop and Mexican idioms.

And they're funny too: The first video, a cover of She Loves You, begins with a verse in random English before switching to Spanish:
A one two three four five
Seven eighteen, seven eighteen
Kiss me once again
Is forever, is forever
And my sister! And my sister waits for me
Very happy, very happy, same to you!
The other two covers are instrumentals.





No comments:

Post a Comment